Autel Support Communities
Autel Support Communities
Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiDas > I'm getting extremely frustrated with my...
I'm getting extremely frustrated with my scanner.

6963 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: 2014-04-24 19:37:32

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    wrenchez81
    2013-10-14 18:54:38
    I've owned my scanner (DS708) for about 8 months now. Recently, I had to scan an 04 Nissan Quest. Normally the scan tool works flawlessly... However, here is my story of distress....

- At first the scan tool logged on the factory side of the PCM...I diagnosed the failure as a faulty Camshaft Position Sensor 'A' ... great..I repaired the vehicle and in a hurry, left the MAF connector loose (not completely seated) ...I wanted to re-use the factory side and monitor the PID for the upstream 02 sensors as it was setting lean codes... it then said two things... 1. Make sure the ignition switch is turned on and 2. Check the cables between the tester and the vehicle DLC... 

I don't understand as I was literally JUST using the factory side of the PCM...Thinking it was maybe a glitch of some sort, used the generic OBD2 side as all I really needed to monitor was the O2 readings.... Well.. I then went to scan an 06 Quest, and the same message popped up... The same also happened on a 97 Nissan Hardbody.. 

I've tried updating the scan tool... still didn't work... Then tried uninstalling Nissan completely and reinstalling.. no dice..This is becoming VERY frustrating as I work on a lot of Nissans.. I'm my employers sole diagnostic tech and it's quite irritating that I cannot communicate with such a common make of vehicle...

Another issue is..My scanner will NOT update using the WiFi..The signal strength lights up to full bar, but it keeps saying there is no internet connection...BUT, if I use the LAN cable, it works just fine,,,,Technical support sucks.. no one can help me and it seems like I'm just wasting my time...

Any ideas on what the issue(s) may be? If I don't resolve this soon... I'm just going to shell out money and get another scanner..

•   Level 3   
    (67) points
    jmechanic

2013-10-14 20:29:04 (Reply to:wrenchez81)

Hi i feel your pain  as i also experience that with a few ds708   in my cases it turn out to be a bad 16pin red obd2 adapter  for some reason  what i did is i used the chrysler adapter  and it solved my problem  hope it does the same for you  it works so well with the chrysler adapter that i use it for all vehicles  about your wifi I have no idea  try disconnecting the whole cable and power your scanner with the ac adapter see if it makes a difference  post back your results so we can all learn from it   good day buddy and good luck.

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    wrenchez81
    2013-10-14 20:32:12 (Reply to:jmechanic)
     Hmm... I'll give that a shot! Thanks for the input! I'm currently waiting for an Autel rep to contact me... We'll see how this goes! I'll post results accordingly.

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    wrenchez81
    2013-10-14 20:34:19
     Also... I've been using the AC adapter as I can only use it along with the LAN cable to get it to use my internet access...I'm updating using my home PC.

•   Level 2   
    (14) points
    wrenchez81
    2013-10-14 20:48:41 (Reply to:wrenchez81)
     OK...  I went and used the Chrysler adapter instead of the OBD2 (red) connector and it DOES let me log on to the OEM side of the PCM... I thank you VERY much for that bit of info... The only thing is...a lot of the auto scan features are skipped..I can live with that..

Does that mean I need a new 16 pin OBD2 connector? It did have quite a bit of looseness to it from the day I purchased it..

•   Level 3   
    (67) points
    jmechanic

2013-10-14 21:16:51 (Reply to:wrenchez81)

Hi  you  are welcome I am glad it worked  yes i will say try and get another adapter  i have seen that happen a lot  also they also seem to have problems with bmw blowing ecm fuses for reason    I bought mine from greebid.com never had any problems with those  hope this helps

•   Level 10   
    (10965) points
    Autel Support

2013-10-15 03:27:57

Really funny. 
    I have talked to our field engineers. When they learned there is always a communication error, they also recommends the Chrysler connector.

•   Level 3   
    (67) points
    jmechanic

2013-10-15 15:42:59 (Reply to:Autel Support)

yes i posted this fix about a year ago  asking autel to make better connectors and a longer main cable but it never happened  many units where returned because of this connectors  i thought this issue was fix but now i see that is not,  maybe this is where your engineer got the info from  hopefully the new scanner does not have this problem, thank you tech support for letting autel know of all the problems we are having  with this ds 708 hopefully they will fix them  or at least let us know where we are standing  are they aware of the issues with the 708 are they planning on releasing any fixes to complete this tool before they move to the next tool is the 708 going to continue getting updates how much the updates is going to cost, as you may know there are many new tools coming out really good tools and people need to know and i need to know what my next scanner is going to be  I thank you for your time and look forward to continue doing business with autel  good day.

•   Level 10   
    (10965) points
    Autel Support

2013-10-16 03:20:54

Well, I have to acknowledge, in order to provide our users more coverage and more functions ,we are working really hard to catch up with all the new models. 
    In this process, we have made some mistakes. Though we are employing more and more field engineers to simulate the real problems, we can't cover all of them. So, the real mechanics are very important for improving our products. Of all your questions, we have forwarded to our engineers for correction or adding new functions. 
    Though we are launching new products right now, DS708 is still a very important model for us. Right now we can put more new applications which are only available in our new Maxisys in DS708. So I think it is good for us and you.  

•   Level 3   
    (67) points
    jmechanic

2013-10-16 09:03:50 (Reply to:Autel Support)

Thank you tech support that is good music to my ears  and I agree 100% with everything you just said specially the part of how important we the mechanics are for the improvement of the tool  not to mention we are the one that buys the tools  but i have one concern why is the update so expensive for the ds708  if i can buy one for $1000 dollars  how can an update be almost $700 dollars  I am not saying is not worth the money I am no one to put a  price on  anything  I am just saying in comparison is too high don't you think  and how about braking down the updates for instance if I am only interested  in  a few car brands and not all of them  because I personally don't care for European cars  and some other people may not care for american cars  you see my point  you may even be able to make more money on updates while we get what we need only anyway is just my 2 cents  thank you again for listening  good day.
  Total2 Pages